Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fried Doughnuts ( Cake Doughnuts ) ~ No yeast



Doughnuts, or donuts, are fried sweet dough. There are two major kinds of doughnuts, yeast-raised or cake doughnuts. Cake doughnuts are made from sweetened dough that is leavened with baking powder or baking soda. They are generally dense and cake-like while yeast-raised doughnuts are more lighter in texture. They can be Iced or glazed or dusted with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

As I love the fried food, they are perfect for me ... my family's favorite too! Simple ingredients & easy to make!

Fried Doughnuts ( Cake Doughnuts ) No yeast
**************************************************

* Prep. Time : 2 1/2 hours
* Cook Time : 15 minutes
* Makes : 26 - 30 doughnuts, depending on the thickness

    Ingredients : 

    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup sugar ( grind it to make powdered )
    • 1/8 tsp. salt
    • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    • 1 egg
    • 4 tbsp. oil
    • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    • 1/4 cup milk
    • Oil for deep frying
    • Icing sugar, for dusting

         Method : 
        • Sift flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
        • Add sugar and salt and mix.
        • In another bowl, lightly beat egg and mix oil & vanilla.
        • Mix the egg mixture in the flour mixture until crumbly.
        • Stir in milk, little at a time. Mix together till well combined & smooth (If the dough is sticky, add some flour).
        • Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap.
        • Leave the dough at room temperature for about 2 hours.
        • On a floured surface, roll out the dough and cut out using a doughnut cutter. 
        • Heat oil in a deep-fryer.
        • Fry doughnuts, in batches, in the hot oil about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
        • Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
        • While doughnuts are still warm, dust / coat with Icing sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture, if you like.
        • Enjoy with tea or coffee.


          Note :
          • My family like it plain, without glaze or dusting of Icing sugar. So to make this sweet, mostly I increase the amount of sugar up to 3/4 cup. I wonder why the dough is supposed to rest for a long time as it is leavened with baking powder, but I always follow this method. 
          Here is another recipe for cake donuts : Chocolate Coated Cake Doughnuts (No Yeast)

          Linking this to Savory Sunday at The Sweet Details by Amanda


          Linking this to Serve It - Fried , started by hosted this month by Denny


          Thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!!

          50 comments :

          1. This is really very nice. My Hubby loves doughnuts and I will try this.

            ReplyDelete
          2. Looks superb,beautiful shape and perfectly done.

            ReplyDelete
          3. I simply love doughnuts. Has come out beautifully.

            ReplyDelete
          4. looks swell- our family fav too !

            ReplyDelete
          5. Lovely and cute,looks so delicious..thanks for sharing dear.

            ReplyDelete
          6. Cute and yummy looking doughnuts... Would make a yummy evening snack...

            ReplyDelete
          7. Wow! looks yummy..feel like having one rite now!
            Sunanda's Kitchen

            ReplyDelete
          8. I like them plain too.... with a cuppa... perfect tea break!

            ReplyDelete
          9. Donuts looks so cute and perfect dear.

            ReplyDelete
          10. Yummie, your donuts look so good, I haven't had donuts for a long time...beautifully done. Hope you are having a great week Ambreen :-)

            ReplyDelete
          11. cute and wonderful doughnuts !! pretty shape !!

            ReplyDelete
          12. wow..doughnuts..I love them!first time at your space,glad to follow you :-)
            visit my blog and follow if you like
            http://juls-tryntaste.blogspot.com/

            ReplyDelete
          13. Dough-nuts are there in my to-do list for a real long time.Thanks for the recipe.Its very simple and the result looks yummmmm!:P :P:)

            ReplyDelete
          14. Fabulous doughnuts,looking delish.

            ReplyDelete
          15. I would like to thank you all for being so supportive! Thank you so much :)

            Welcome Julie & keep visiting :)

            ReplyDelete
          16. Yummy looking doughnuts! First time to your space.
            Do visit mine when time permits. Thanks

            ReplyDelete
          17. Feel like having some doughnuts, super irresistible..

            ReplyDelete
          18. looks so good! I am sure going to try this.

            ReplyDelete
          19. Hi thanks a lot for visiting my space and for the lovely thought....you have a wonderful space and I loved going through ...I have a lot to learn from here..once again thanks a lot for visiting me otherwise I wouldn't be here....keep visiting.

            ReplyDelete
          20. Thank you so much everyone. Hope you give them a try ... Let me know how they turned out :)

            Thank you Nisa for visiting. Thank you so much for your nice words about my recipes.

            ReplyDelete
          21. Thank you Jay, Vardhini & Eftychia for stopping by & leaving nice comments :)

            ReplyDelete
          22. wao..yummy..i wish i can cook as yours :)

            ReplyDelete
          23. Thank you Khadija. Hope you will try it someday ... they are very easy to make :)

            ReplyDelete
          24. Thank you South Indian Home for stopping by. Glad you like them :)

            ReplyDelete
          25. hi ambreen... came to know abt ut blog via khadija's blog. really like it, very well explaiend and ur recipies look really yummy. i am a bad cook and would definatly try some of ur recipies...

            I am ur new follower.

            thx for sharing.

            ReplyDelete
          26. Welcome Irum. Thanks for visiting & joining as a follower. Glad you liked my recipes :)

            ReplyDelete
          27. Hi,

            I made the doughnuts and came out of fryer looking lovely however they were quite
            dense/tough in the middle and lacking flavor? I was dissapointed because they looked
            delicious!! Could you tell me what i'm doing wrong as i really want to have another go :)

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Sorry to hear that it didn’t work for you. The homemade doughnuts texture is dense & slightly dry than the commercially made variety. The reason is that their dough is more like a thick cake batter and a special machine is used to drop the batter right into the hot oil.
              Maybe, you have overcooked them a little. Also, too much kneading the dough can make them tough. You should try rolling them thick next time and increase the vanilla up to 1 tsp. Hope this works :)

              Delete
          28. I'm going to give this recipe to try in my cooking class! Thanks :D

            ReplyDelete
          29. OH MY GOSH!!! This recipe was delicious!!! Thnx!

            ReplyDelete
          30. Ooh it tastes great! Thank youu! Perfect for my friends, but how long can we keep it before it spoils?

            ReplyDelete
          31. Ooh it tastes great, thank youu! It s perfect for my friends, but how long can we keep them before they spoil?

            ReplyDelete
          32. Ooh it tastes great! Thank youu! Perfect for my friends, but how long can we keep it before it spoils?

            ReplyDelete
          33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

            ReplyDelete
          34. Just tried the recipe waiting on the dough can't wait to taste the outcome...I'm young and new to cooking I love seeing and trying new recipes posted online I think I will look for more that u have to share!! Thanx!!

            ReplyDelete
            Replies
            1. Thank you Meka for your visit & kind words. Let me know how it turns out for you :)

              Delete
            2. They were ABSOLUTELY DELISH!! My in-laws loved them!!! I actually put butter on them after I took them out the oil and wat a flavor!!! Thanx so much!!

              Delete
            3. Thank you Meka, I'm so glad to hear positive feedback :)

              Delete
          35. Thank you for posting this recipe!

            ReplyDelete

          Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...